Enrolling to Vote

Most persons over 18 living, owning or leasing property in a Council area can be eligible to vote.

You must be enrolled on the Council voters roll to be able to vote. You are eligible to vote if you are:

  • 18 years of age or over on or before the close of voting; and you are a resident in the Council area (you do not have to own a house or property to enrol to vote)
  • Owners of property who are not residents, including body corporates or groups (also have entitlements to enrol to vote)

You will automatically appear on the Council voters roll, and receive a postal ballot pack if you are:

  • on the State Electoral Roll (House of Assembly Roll), which means you vote in State Government elections;

If you have changed address or postal address recently and have not changed your enrolment details you will need to do this by 5pm, Friday 10 August 2018,to be eligible to vote in November. Fill out an enrolment or change of address form at any Post Office, Electoral Office or visit the AEC website:

Unsure if you can vote? Organisations, business owners or occupiers

  • If you are not an Australian citizen, and not on the State (House of Assembly) electoral roll you can vote in a council election, as long as you are above 18 years of age and have lived in the council area for more than one month.
  • You can also vote in a council election if you own a rateable property in the area, regardless of whether you live in it.
  • Organisations, business owners or occupiers are required to nominate a designated person to vote on their behalf who is a natural person, of or above 18 years of age.
  • If you are unsure whether you are on the Council voters roll, Contact the Rates Coordinator - telephone 8641 9100.

Enrolling on Council's supplementary roll

Under the Local Government (Elections) Act 1999, there is a requirement to purge the council supplementary roll on 1 January of every election year. All landlords, business lessees and resident non-Australian citizens are removed from Council's voters roll and must re-enrol to be able to vote.

If you have been removed from the roll under these provisions you must re-enrol before the roll close deadline by 5pm Friday 10 August 2018, otherwise you will not be able to vote in 2018 elections.

Download the enrolment form relevant to your particular circumstance below:

Natural Person: Resident, Sole Owner or Sole Occupier (non-residential tenant)(519 kb)

Body Corporate: Sole Owner or Sole Occupier (tenant)(143 kb)

Group Owners or Group Occupiers (tenants)(146 kb)